What a whirled-wind the last five and a half weeks have been!
I’m sitting here in my office trying to gather my thoughts about the adventure we have been journeying on. Racing through my mind are so many people, places, and things we’ve experienced since we left Longmont, CO.
a few of the highlights from our travels to our new home and ministry…
- We drove through a blizzard in Wyoming. There was about 4 feet of visibility and the winds were awful. Yep. I thought we were going to not make it at one point.
- We decided to not stop overnight in Salt Lake City and drive through to California… We’re too old do to that.
- We had Christmas and New years with our family in Northern California (First time in thirteen years).
- I got eyeglasses.
- Elle celebrated her sixteenth birthday
- We spent three fun and eventful weeks with family in Northern California (We went to the ocean a few times, hung-out with family, went to San Francisco and had a great time, saw a guy wreck his motorcycle and I tried to help stabilize him—he was hurt pretty bad, saw the aftermath of a guy trying to harm himself at a department store, and witnessed people across the street from where we were staying get into a domestic dispute… We also tried to secure a home in Prineville during this time, but found it difficult to do so…).
- Drove through a blizzard in Oregon as we journeyed to our new home and ministry (There was one moment when cars and semi-trucks were sliding off the road when I though it wasn’t going to end well for us. Thankfully for our time of driving in Missouri and Colorado, I was able to keep going without any mishaps).
We just finished our third week of living in Oregon. We have been so blessed by our new church family. What amazing, welcoming, and loving people!
We arrived in Oregon without having secured a home to live in, so a family from the church let us stay with them for a week. During that time we searched for a place to live and eventually found a place—thanks to some people from the church.
Since then, time has been going by so fast! We are feeling our way through as we go about repotting Ascent Christian Church. This is a great church with amazing people! I have preached at three of our gatherings so far as the pastor of Ascent.
My schedule is full of connecting with people and spending time in the community. I am learning all I can about our new city and praying about finding ways the Holy Spirit can use us to be the best church for our city.
Fina and the kids are doing well. Thomas and Elle started school this past week and seem to really enjoy it. Angelica has already made a friend and has gone horseback riding, has been to a young adult Bible study, and hung-out with some friends in Bend, OR… Fina is keeping busy by focusing on the kids their schedules and routines set and getting our home in order.
a couple of exciting things going on at Ascent Christian Church…
- We are going to have our first baptism soon, once we find a place to have it (The issues of being a mobile church…).
- Ascent Christian Church is already involved in helping plant a new church in Sisters, OR and I am on the management team of this new work. As the new church plant in Sisters gets underway, I hope to share more about this in the future.
We are so thankful for every one of you! Your support both in prayers and financially are a huge encouragement to us! We couldn’t do this without all of you and by the grace of our Father in heaven.
Ways to Partner With Us…
We’d love it if you partnered with us prayerfully and financially. If you want to know more about our new adventure—please read the full story here: We are moving to Oregon
We always need and appreciate your prayers! But we also have financial needs. Fina and I have to raise a portion of our salary. Our commitment to the church is to raise support for two years (That’s $1800 a month for two years—a total of $43,200).
You can help by…
Send financial contributions to:
Ascent Christian Church
P O Box 2117
Prineville, OR 97754
Make checks payable to Ascent Christian Church… Please indicate on the check “Puentes Missions” so we can apply it to the correct account. (Your contribution is a tax deductible donation).
Online giving is available: http://www.ascentcc.com/giving/ (Be sure to check the box – “I would like to designate this donation to a specific fund” AND select: “Help Pastor Joe Puentes & Family”).